Friday, May 19

Have You Forgotten? - A Musical Journey Through 9/11


I like to share, I'm a sharing kinda guy. If I was an old, slightly female singer, my stage name would be Cher. And there has been a severe lack of music stuff on my blog, except for my exclusive interview with Michael Crawford a few years back. God, the things I would do to that man.

So, I thought I'd share with you, my sexy readers, one of my secret musical passions.

No, it's not shitty early 90's ballads by Mr Big and Bad English, it's ultra-patriotic American country music. It's awesome. It was just after TheTragicEventsOfSeptemberTheEleventh that American country music took a turn away from heartfelt lyrics about losing my dog and my wife and damn I really miss that dog, and towards things that actually matter. Redneck country music stars realised they didn't need to sing about driving in their 18-wheeler and slugging back some JD on their way to the monster truck rally where their best friend banged their wife, they could sing about terrorism, and explosions, and WAR! Like Alvin and the Chipmunks, but with less Chinese propaganda.

I first fell in love with this music one night in 2002. I was looking up pictures of Susan Sarandon for my collection, with Fox News blaring in the background, when I heard them cut from their Top Ten Reasons Why President Bush's Shit Doesn't Smell to.... a musical act. On a hard news show. And you thought the boys from The Chaser invented News-tainment. But it wasn't just any musical act, it was American country and western star Darryl Worley. And when he sang, well, it was like at first sight.


Ohhh something something freedom something terrrorrrr

It was a song called 'Have You Forgotten', a heartfelt ballad about TheTragicEventsOfSeptemberTheEleventh. More specifically, about those god damn surrender monkeys who don't think America should make a parking lot out of the Middle East. Here's the lyrics.
I hear people saying we don't need this war
I say there's some things worth fighting for
What about our freedom and this piece of ground?
We didn't get to keep 'em by backing down
They say we don't realize the mess we're getting in
Before you start preaching
Let me ask you this my friend
CHORUS 1
Have you forgotten how it felt that day
To see your homeland under fire
And her people blown away?
Have you forgotten when those towers fell?
We had neighbors still inside
Going through a living hell
And you say we shouldn't worry 'bout Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?
They took all the footage off my T.V.
Said it's too disturbing for you and me
It'll just breed anger that's what the experts say
If it was up to me I'd show it every day
Some say this country's just out looking for a fight
After 9/11 man I'd have to say that's right
CHORUS 1
I've been there with the soldiers
Who've gone away to war
And you can bet they remember
Just what they're fighting for
CHORUS 2
Have you forgotten all the people killed?
Some went down like heroes in that Pennsylvania field
Have you forgotten about our Pentagon?
All the loved ones that we lost
And those left to carry on
Don't you tell me not to worry about Bin Laden
Have you forgotten?
Have you forgotten?
Have you forgotten?

And yes, when he sings it, he rhymes 'Bin Laden' with 'Forgotten'. If you think it's impossible, well you've obviously never heard of the word 'Forgadden'. It's truly magical.
Who needs 'Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try' when the D-Man gives us 'Some say this country's just out lookin' for a fight'. If I was an American flag and heard that lyric, I'd be standing at full mast, if you smell what I'm cooking.
Such a beautiful memorial of the victims of 9/11 too - 'To see your homeland under fire, and her people blown away'. Brings a tear to my eye and a bullet to the M-16 I keep in my garage incase Captain A-Rab and the Eye-Raqis come to rape my wife.
And remember, if you'd like to download this song and don't know how, it's the year 2006 you stupid prick. But, if you don't want to break the law, you can listen to a little clip from Have You Forgotten here. And then you can go back to riding your little girly bike with your Cops Are Tops sticker, you pussy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is darryl happy to see us?

Anonymous said...

this article has a point somewhere if you cross your eyes and move away from it slowly right?

Anonymous said...

bored now

Anonymous said...

http://youdrunkashell.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

it had a point, that americans are funny