Tuesday, May 2

Australia has been a little mine-crazy the past few days, with the story of the surviving miners in Tassie. The best thing about this story, aside from the fact the dudes survived 5 days without supplies, was how it broke. It wasn't pre-packaged in a 2 minute spot on the 6pm news, or the first bulletin on the Today Show with Karl and The Skeleton Woman, it was BREAKING NEWS. It interrupted CSI! That alone makes it my favourite news story ever.

Can't...eat....smiling.....too much......

This sounds geeky as, but I love breaking news. I don't care if it's an urgent bulletin on the Queen's urinary tract infection, if it interrupts something or appears in a scrolling box at the bottom of another show, I want to know about it. Obviously, there are certain breaking news events that I can't say I 'love', like oh, I don't know, London being blown up, but I can't deny that I dig watching it. In fact, it's even better when it's something huge, like the Saddam statue being torn down, or Latham stepping down, or the perennial favourite - Thetragiceventsofseptembertheeleventh.

Like the JFK Assassination, or the release of Biodome starring Pauly Shore, everyone remembers where they were on 9/11. Just for a day or two, 9/11 made everything crazy. Of course, thanks to my family, I missed most of the 'good' stuff. Rather than waking me up to watch the single most important world event in years, my family hoarded the TV while I slept peacefully, only to be woken up the next morning by my Mum running into the room and telling me 'They blew up New York'. Now, my first thought wasn't 'Oh shit, so many people will have died', it was 'Holy crap, they ripped off that Tom Clancy book'. But like everyone else, I was glued to the TV for a few hours straight until I had to leave.

It was really only when I went to school that it hit me, because it was all anybody talked about all day. Except for my bitch of an English teacher, who ignored the 3000 dead to bitch about her mother-in-law and how my mate Sam (not SGS) had dyed his hair. Now I think about it, she might have been a member of the Taliban. No wonder she chucked a hissy fit when I smeared her with pig fat.


Today, we learn about how fractals represent change

The other hot thing about breaking news is that it shows how shit some news anchors are. First, they always fall for the 'uncomfirmed report'. There was the 'unconfirmed report' of a truck bomb at the Pentagon on 9/11. 'Unconfirmed reports' of twice the amount of explosions in the London Bombings. Even the Tassie miners story had 'unconfirmed reports' of the miners being freed in the 'next two hours' (that was 40 hours ago). You can see the newsreaders sweat as they struggle without an auto-cue, or if they're on Channel 10, a lame pun about the next story. It's television magic I tells ya.

Anyway, I believe what I wrote can be called a blog, and now it's done, I'm off to beat it to footage of 9/11. Ciao.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember the night 9/11 stuff came on our tv. id been watching "when we were kings" and was pissed that they stopped it.

Anonymous said...

I love Pauly Shore with the full length of my penis. Don't you dare make jokes about that god amongst men!

Anonymous said...

Max, your love for Pauly Shore is therefore short lasting and unsatisfying?

That's right, I went there.

Anonymous said...

It has come to light that miners have amongst the highest disposable incomes in Australia. I assume because their jobs are risky, brain numbing, and when they get paid they are too stupid to know what to spend it on. So why the hell do they get a relief fund??? They are not even dead! I am sure their families can handle the finances for 5 days. Plus they will be selling their story for a truck load of pretzels, so screw em.

Tommy said...

one of them died so you'd imagine the relief funds will go mainly to his family

Anonymous said...

apparently not.... thats what the sillyness is, if it went to the dead person family only that would be totally fair.

Anonymous said...

yeah, cause spending 5 days in the pitch black, not nowing whats gonna happen is going to really help you when you have to go back tow ork down the mine, which is probably all you know how to do

Anonymous said...

WHATEVER


Where are they pooing and stuff?

In the corner.... yuck

Anonymous said...

someones bored at work ^^

Anonymous said...

that's right my hair colour trumps breaking news

Tommy said...

when sam dyed his hair back, channel nine ran a 2 hour special about it instead of covering the queen mother's death